Saturday, June 18, 2011

The Baby Shower

Baby showers are not something that are really heard or done of in Malaysia. It's a solely Western tradition, which I think is a brilliant idea. What better way for a first time mother who has no experience or no idea what to do or prepare then to get everyone shower the baby with love a.k.a. everyone buys a gift for the baby from a list the parents-to-be create?

When I found out I was pregnant, I knew immediately I wanted to have a baby shower. I also knew that I would have to find a way to explain what a baby shower is and that not everyone would be receptive to the idea. But I thought hey, let's just give it a try.

The baby shower was held on 11 June 2011 (110611) when I was at 34 weeks. I'd Facebooked the invitation to people with a list of items that I/the baby needed - which is essentially the choices they have to make for baby Z's gift. All the items were the smaller items that we needed since we'd already bought the bigger items - stroller, baby crib, car seat...

On the day of the shower, I was actually afraid that people might not come. Or if they did, they'd come empty handed. A few people had to cancel due to last minute events. I saw that as a sign and was secretly panicking. When the clock turned 3pm, I sat and smiled, but was secretly hoping for anyone to turn up. My parents and their friends were punctual. At about 3.20pm, they asked where my friends were. *panic, panic, panic* Not two minutes late, the first batch arrived :)

The baby shower actually turned out much better then I thought. Although I expected a few more people, I was still happy with all who turned up. And everyone brought more then I expected! Yay! It also turned out to be an impromptu belated birthday celebration :)

The only thing we forgot (and something I only realised at the end) was fruits! We prepared egg and tuna sandwiches, karipap, kuih murtabak, cocktail sausages and nuggets. Mama brought the homemade birthday cake and red velvet cupakes which everyone loved. At the end of the day, it turned out to be a successful event with us getting about 80% of what we asked for. Still so happy with how it turned out :)

The pressies!

Our shared belated birthday celebration :)

The homemade birthday cake made by Mama <3

Everyone's trying to get the baby to kick :)

Opening presents!

The door gift -decorated sugar cookies and candy.

No comments: