Thursday, August 18, 2011

GC

It's 7.30am on a Saturday morning. I park my car in the almost empty parking lot at the same spot I always park. I check to see whether the car is straight and centred. With my bag hanging across of me, I carry my water bottle in one hand and keys in the other.


3rd floor. I walk by the cleaning lady who's cleaning the floor and smile. I bend down, open the padlock, pull the shutter up, enter the shop and push the shutter back down. The shop doesn't open till 10am. I switch on whichever light I need and get to work.


I switch on the PC, have a quick look through of all the papers, files, fax and documents from the last five days. Then I go to my favourite place of the whole shop - the teacher's workstation. I change the newspapers, re-arrange all the accessories and switch on the electrical appliances. I draw and draw and draw till the pile stacks up. Then I begin cutting.


Sometimes I put the radio on, but play it very softly. But usually, I'd play John Mayer's CD over and over again until it was almost time to switch on the rest of the lights and pull the shutters up.


10am - I'm relaxed and at peace. The next 10 hours fly by in a hectic and chaotic rush. Squeals of laughter is heard throughout the day. Hands, feet, body and face end up being covered in glitter, glue and paint. And not a second goes by when I'm in that shop that I feel bored. Ever.

Despite all that's happened between Audrey and me, this is what I miss. Still. GC has always had a special place in my heart. And now is no exception.

No comments: