Sunday, January 30, 2011

Chapter Four: And baby makes three :)

The First Trimester

I suspected that I might be pregnant at the beginning of November 2010. My period was 10 days late, but when I took the first home pregnancy test it was negative. My friend told me it might be because it's too early, so wait a few more days before taking the test again. I took three more home pregnancy tests after a few days and they were all positive.

On 6 December 2010, I waited impatiently in the waiting area for my doctor to arrive. There were two women before me, and the wait felt like an eternity. Besides, I'd been throwing up the last few mornings and on this morning, I felt like throwing up more then ever. When the doctor called me into the office, I anticipated chit chat on updates but she was already waiting for me in the scanning room. Not two minutes later, there it was...a tiny little seed and a yolk sac that was 6 weeks old.

When I showed Eddie the picture of the scan when he came home from work later that night, he was immediately happy and almost at the same time, immediately cautious. He told me I couldn't tell anyone and we had to keep quiet about the pregnancy until after 3 months. I felt like shouting it to the world...but he was right. Six more weeks wasn't that long right?

After telling my parents, I had to almost push him to tell his parents. He was so afraid to jinx it if he told anyone. But on the weekend as I sat after my Asar prayers, I saw him dial his phone and went into the bathroom. Immediately suspiscious of who he was calling, I went to the bathroom door to eavesdrop. I heard him say, "A'ah Ayah...dia ada muntah2 sikit..." Then I turned around and pretended not to have heard anything.

The next six weeks proved to be somewhat challenging. I was naseous all the time and I had no appetite to eat. And almost anything I ate came back out. I was also feeling extremely exhausted all the time. I could nap four times a day and still be tired enough to sleep early during the night. Besides not being able to shout to the world the good news I was hiding, I was also anticipating the next doctor's appointment.

On 8 January 2011, Eddie and I headed out to the doctor. I was half excited because I had no idea what to expect and I was half afraid because I'd been feeling so good the last few days that I was afraid something was wrong. Eddie looked extremely nervous...and why wouldn't he be? This was his first time seeing his baby :)

The moment I saw the baby my jaw dropped. It wasn't a tiny seed anymore. It had a head, body, spine, legs and hands. And it looked like a baby! In my awe, she also told us the baby was growing ahead of schedule, which was good, and I was 12 weeks and 3 days. She also told us that the baby was 6cm from head to rump and is a boy! Eddie was surprised as he'd thought his first born would be a girl, but before he could say anything, the doctor let us hear his heart beat and we all just shut up to hear him :)

No comments: